Voter Service & Election Activities
The Marquette Unit held many activities and events to inform the public for both the primary and general election including a candidate forum, an online and printed voter guide and ballot proposal presentations.
- A new team of volunteers did a fantastic job learning the vote411.org system and setting up a large number of new races for the general election
- This information was shared with the Mining Journal to produce our first printed voter guide
- We had a dedicated team of volunteers who planned and coordinated this process with the Mining Journal and also distributed the local and the state voter guide throughout the Marquette County
- We had extremely good feedback regarding both the vote411.org and the printed guide
- The media (newspaper, radio and television) all widely publicized both the online and printed guides
Ballot Proposal Presentations
- 10 LWV volunteers were trained by LWVMI to present information on the Ballot Proposals
- 12 LWV volunteers coordinated and/or presented at 8 programs in Marquette County and 1 program in Delta County sharing information with almost 200 people o 6 County Board Districts o Marquette Breakfast Rotary Club o NMU campus ~ Student Leader Fellowship Program and Superior Edge students
Marquette County residents found this gem tucked into their Mining Journal paper on Saturday morning, October 27th, 2018.
A big congratulations to the LWV volunteer team who worked so hard to make this happen. They spent hours learning the Vote411.org data system, they developed questions for the candidates, they figured out how to get in touch with all of the candidates, they worked with the County Clerk to get the accurate ballot proposal language for all of the county wide proposals, they set up a slew of races on vote411.org and had to figure out what GIS codes applied to each race so that voters could access their own individualized ballots, they did their best to track down candidates by phone, email, etc. to get their responses to the questions.
Meanwhile the volunteers met regularly with the Mining Journal to lay out plans for the guide and to figure out what the Mining Journal needed. Once all of the information was in the Vote411.org system the volunteers figured out how to get what the Mining Journal wanted in the computer file format that they wanted in. Without their work our local races and ballot proposals would not have been on the Vote411.org system and this guide would not have been in the Mining Journal Saturday morning papers. They figured it all out and made election information available for the entire county and beyond!
Watch the July 17, 2019 Marquette City Commissioner Candidates Forum on Youtube.